Thursday, April 5, 2012

Mac Bug Infects Hundreds of Thousands

Image from source, TPM, which is for some reason showing some
really old Macs. They don't age well, do they?
I'm on my second Mac, if my PowerBook counts (it didn't say "Mac" anywhere), in addition to my regular Intel PCs at home and at work. Other than brief ownership of an iPod Nano and the Apple IIe we used in high school, that's pretty much the sum total of my experience with Apple products. So far--though I'm pleased with my MacBook Pro, I'm just not in love. I don't understand the otherwordly allure the brand has for so many. No way in hell would I wait in line overnight for the latest iGizmo.

But the one thing Apple is supposed to promise is that their products are virtually impervious to viruses, adware and the like. It hasn't turned out that way, I have on two occasions landed on pages that I had to force quit my way out of (in one case, it took several reboots, and a freeware program to dispose of it). I'm starting to think that Cult of Mac fanatics are covering for Cupertino. Especially when you read this:

[Excerpt]


Mac Botnet Has Infected Over Half a Million Computers

A long time ago, one of the reasons to get a Macintosh computer was that there were few nasty viruses or other malicious junk floating around that could affect your machine. However, this kind of attitude can only lead to trouble and now the Russian security company Doctor Web says that one particular trojan called Backdoor.Flashback.39 has infected over 550,000 Apple computers. . .

Read more at: Talking Points Memo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...