Thursday, April 21, 2011

Weird Al Yankovic's "Banned" Lady Gaga Parody


I grew up in the 70s and 80s, and remember waiting anxiously to hear The Dr. Demento Show on Sunday nights. One of the biggest stars on that nerdfest was Weird Al Yankovic. He started out with a parody of The Knack's My Sharona (My Bologna), followed up with a riff on Queen's Another One Bites the Dust (Another One Rides the Bus), and blew us away with his take on The Kinks' Lola (Yoda).  By the time I was half-way through high school, Dr. Demento either stopped airing in Columbus, Ohio, or I'd fallen out of the habit. But I still bought Weird Al's In 3-D album, due to the heavy rotation of Eat It, Al's take on Michael Jackson's Beat It. I just about wore out that cassette.

I learned with that album that Al wasn't just funny, he was really very talented. He doesn't just make a goofy song to the tune of an already famous one. His lyrics are intricate. They fit both the original song, and the spoof. It works on several levels. He's done it again, using today's top pop star, Lady Gaga as his muse. It's dead on the money. I can't see why she didn't approve it. I'm betting she reverses herself.



Found at: TowleRoad

UPDATE: Apparently, Lady Gaga has relented: Mercury News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...