Sunday, December 15, 2013

Blast from the Past: A Demented Christmas!

I was always a fan of parody and novelty tunes, all the way back as far as I can remember. I think they were kind of like audible cartoons, even though I might not have understood what made them funny. As I grew older, my fondness for funny songs grew, coupled with my lack of religion, twisted sense of humor and basic irreverence and tendency for inappropriateness. As such, if I listen to Christmas music, it is much more likely to be spoofs of Christmas music, rather than the classics. Oh, I like "contemporary" Christmas songs (if you can consider 80s-era A Very Special Christmas CDs contemporary). But Doctor Demento-style music is much preferred. So, I'm on a quest to put together my favorite funny Christmas tunes for this week's Blast from the Past. Enjoy!

 


1. Twisted Chipmunks - Bob Rivers' take on the Alvin & the Chipmunks Christmas song is very well done and funny, and it leads into. . .
2. Chipmunks Roasting - Bob Rivers' spot-on parody of The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting), which--despite a potential bit of soft racism toward the end--is very, very funny.



3. There's Something Stuck Up in the Chimney - This one (Bob Rivers again) might be slightly overplayed, but it really hit my funny bone the first time I heard it.
4. Walking Around in Women's Underwear - Again, Bob Rivers wanders into dicey territory, with a tune that some people might find homophobic (transphobic? cross-dresser-phobic?), and a bit dated with the Murphy Brown reference. But I've for some reason overlooked that for decades, and have always been tickled by it.



5. I Saw Daddy Kissing Santa Claus - Kip Adotta (more famous for the delightful Wet Dream) did this little role reversal, which also might tippy-toe into homophobia, but only if you're very, very sensitive.
6. Christmas Wrapping - This wonderful song by The Waitresses has kind of moved out of the "novelty" arena, and become something of a perennial "contemporary Christmas" (again if 1982 can be called that) tune. It tells a very sweet story, considering the "edgy" air the group had about it.
 


7. Santa Claus and His Old Lady - Cheech and Chong are as much a delight in the twenty-teens as they wee in the 1970s, and this classic will never go out of style.

8. 12 Days of Christmas - I would never include this interminable song by anyone else (including the most recent take by Mike Huckabee. . .ugh). But Bob & Doug McKenzie (Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas) managed to take everything about the song that sucks, and made fun of it while making it their own. Probably a bit of an 80s pastiche, but I still love it.




9. O Holy Night (Christmas Tree & Pie) - There are a lot of funny South Park songs, but this is the only one that has noodled its way into my brain, so that no matter which version of this song I hear, I have Cartman and his lyrics in my head! Hilarious.

10. Merry F***ing Christmas - Believe it or not, this isn't the most offensive song on the South Park "Mr. Hanky's Christmas Classics" album! But fair warning, it is offensive to some. However, it is also extremely apropos for the people whining about the phony FOX "News" War on Christmas. Like them, Mr. Garrison wants to force "Merry Christmas" on the whole world, like it or not!

And to quote David Gregory on every episode of Meet the Press, "we're going to have t leave it there." Any more videos in this post and it will choke your computer on Holiday Cheer! I'll probably be sprinkling the blog with more fun stuff as Christmas approaches, but much like every year, that stretch between Christmas and New Years will be slim blogging from me (and virtually everyone else). Especially this year. So for now, Merry Christmas and Happy Monday!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...