Sunday, December 22, 2013

Blast from the Past: Contemporary Christmas Songs!

Though the title of this post is "Contemporary Christmas Songs," you'll also note that this is Blast from the Past. As such, we will consider anything from the late-70s to the mid-1990s as "contemporary." Maybe this needs a new name to separate it from "classics," which I'd consider Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, etc. I also don't count The Carpenters and similar acts from the sixties and seventies. As old as I am, those don't feel contemporary. A practical dividing line for me is A Very Special Christmas, a series of albums starting in the 1980s that benefitted the Special Olympics, and brought together popular artists of the day for their renditions of classic songs. And though there's no cutoff since that time, I am not very enamored with really contemporary takes on Christmas songs, at least not in the last several years. So, these songs basically fall in the 80s and 90s, with maybe a few outside that window. And yes, I know that I included two versions of Hard Candy Christmas. Enjoy!

 


And that's a wrap! Happy Monday, and Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...