Saturday, October 24, 2009

Computer Woes: Windows 7 Arrives



This isn't so much "computer woes" as it is just a headache. It isn't exactly Microsoft's fault (or maybe it is). I downloaded the "release candidate" of Windows 7 for free this summer. That was my first mistake. Or Microsoft's. I'm still not sure.

See, the freebie download was for a limited time, meaning it eventually expires. It was also the "Ultimate" edition, which I either missed, or was not indicated. Anyway, I arranged to pre-order my "Home Premium" version, two copies, at a reduced price at the same time I did the download. It was after that purchase was final that I noticed, "Hey, this is Windows 7 Ultimate!" Oh, crap!

So, I waited for the upgrades to come. When they did, I quickly ascertained, yes I could upgrade, but only to a clean installation. Which means basically, a new operating system on a functionally new computer. But you have to reinstall all of your old programs, and backup then restore all of your files.

Mostly, it's working out fine. I'd forgotten about a program or two that I now have to sort out. I can't seem to load my old emails into AOL, but I've found a workaround for that. My biggest issue is with my two printers. Both Canon and HP offer Windows 7 drivers, but so far, they are being quite uncooperative. Sigh.

Anyway, by and large I would recommend Windows 7. It makes the computer run faster, and it's pretty snazzy. And most of you will not have gone the route that I did. Serves me right for having to be a first-adopter! Good luck with yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...