Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Remembering Annette Funicello

I was remiss in not putting up a notice, in a timely manner, of Annette Funicello's passing at age 70. She had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis some twenty years ago, and not in the public eye for some years. It always seemed especially sad because Annette's persona was that of a bubbly, lovable, warm "girl next door," and it just didn't seem fair somehow, not that it ever is.

I noted that in the coverage of her passing, most people pointed to her beginnings on the original Mickey Mouse Club, her fame in beach movies, and a minor musical career. What I didn't see was the thing I remember her for: Skippy peanut butter commercials. For a good chunk of my adolescence, Annette Funicello was the peanut butter lady. And true to her image, they were sweet natured. RIP, Annette.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...