Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Tale of Two Flashes


I was always a fan of DC Comics' The Flash. Actually, I was a fan of the second Flash, the "Earth-1" Flash, Barry Allen. If you're not a comics fan, that reads like Esperanto or something, I'm sure. There have been many versions of the "Scarlet Speedster" over the last 60 years, and many people confused him with Flash Gordon, star of science fiction serials, movies radio shows, and the like.

That confusion is likely to be reignited by the new Sci-Fi Channel show, Flash Gordon. As a graphic artist and logo designer, I was struck by the logo for the show, which is a ringer for the insignia on The Flash's chest. Here's what I mean:

The first image (from SciFi.com) is the ad for the 1st season of Flash Gordon. The second (from Wikipedia.com), is a painting* of the Barry Allen (60s-80s) version of The Flash. Do you see what I mean?

Maybe Time-Warner (owner of DC) produces this show, or owns the copyright. If not, you've got to wonder if they'll have to change that logo.


*By the way, other art by the painter of this work, Alex Ross, can be viewed at AlexRossArt.com. This guy's work is amazing. I don't think superheroes have ever looked more like real people. He's also got this great painting of George W. Bush sucking the blood from Lady Liberty. . . a man after my own heart!


UPDATE: After checking out the AlexRossArt site, I found this interesting item (image from source), also painted by the artist! Note, the logo is sort of similar to The Flash's, but not nearly as much as the new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...