Sunday, August 26, 2007

Behind the Blogger, Part Eight: The Weight Thing



From time to time, I've been posting a few personal posts here, giving a little background on me, the editor. This one is my least favorite.

I posted earlier about a minor medical issue (Sicko! This Time it's Personal). This little event brought up a bigger one. You see, a nurse forced me to step on the scale, giving me a startling revelation. I'm not just festively plump, or carrying a little extra weight, I'm FAT.

Photo from IMDB.com
The damned thing told me I weighed 180 pounds. A personal worst. At 5' 8½" (don't forget the half!), any weight chart will tell you that sneaks right up on obese. Good grief. Now, to be fair, I had all of my personal possessions on me at the time, my clothes, shoes, glasses, phone, wallet, keys, paperwork, money, watch. I didn't have the luxury of wearing my lightest clothes, and going pee before my weigh-in.

But I figure at most that covers 5 or 6 pounds (and that figure may be wishful thinking). That still puts me at fat. My normal weight--meaning when I wasn't watching it, ate anything I wanted, and wasn't exercising--used to hover between 150 and 155. I guess now that I'm 41, that figure has floated upward.

Unfortunately, since they put me on Cipro, I'm advised not to exercise! How 'bout that, an excuse not to exercise when I need it the most! So, after the Cipro is gone, I've got to get serious. Apparently, exercise while on Cipro can lead to tendons suddenly detaching. Yikes!

So, what to do? I could try Atkins--it's worked in the past--but the "low carb" food items have disappeared as the diet has lost favor. I intend to get back to the gym, but I fear that this time it is going to take more than that.

And what better time to start dieting than leading into the Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's rush that the calendar is going to thrust upon us (faster than we'd think)? So here we go on the dieting yo-yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...