Friday, July 31, 2009

Blast from the Past: The Jacksons' Torture


After Michael Jackson's death, I compiled an MP3 CD for my Jeep, and have been listening to it off and on ever since. I included solo tracks, duets, the Jackson 5 and the Jacksons tracks. Since my recording ended up a bit jumbled, it'll bounce from Rockin' Robin to Black or White to State of Shock (Michael Jackson's duet with Mick Jagger, which was originally intended to be with Freddie Mercury). The transition can be jarring, but it can also zap me right back to the year I first heard the song.

One of the blasts from the past is Torture, the only hit truly from The Jacksons from 1984's Victory. I had the original cassette, and played it a lot when I was in college. But since 1985 or so, I don't believe I'd heard Torture. The song itself is hopelessly stuck in the 80s, but not unlistenable, so it is curious that it doesn't pop up anymore, especially after the Michaelpalooza we've gone through as a nation. But the video really lives up to the title. Take the worst parts of Patty Smythe/Scandal's The Warrior video, mix it with The Village People, Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, throw in a little kinky sex imagery along with A Nightmare on Elm Street, and you have Torture. Oh, and did I mention that Michael Jackson--despite providing vocal tracks--is nowhere to be found?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...