Sunday, June 29, 2014

Blast from the Past: Gay Anthems, Part III





This marks the end of Gay Pride Month, so I thought I'd play us out with some more gay anthems!



There are plenty to go, as you shall see. I had to do a superpack this time, 12 tunes in all.

1. I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred (1991) - Instantly an embarrassing novelty hit nobody will claim, this one was briefly insanely popular.
2. Macho Man by The Village People (1977) - Single-handedly responsible for injecting the word "macho" into American vernacular, and also for introducing America to The Village People.



3. I'm Coming Out by Diana Ross (1980) - Obviously.
4. Why by Bronski Beat (1984) - Another one that got by me at the time, but certainly no one else did.



5. Let's Have a Kiki by Scissor Sisters (2012) - Much newer than the rest, but essential.
6. Take Your Mama Out by Scissor Sisters (2004) - Because I love them. And this one is actually about a gay guy coming out, so there you go.



7. Dancing Queen by ABBA (1976) - Can you believe I didn't slot in ABBA in Part I or II? I mean really.
8. Last Dance by Donna Summer (1979) - All of Donna Summer's hits qualify, truly.



9. Supermodel by RuPaul Charles (1992) - Another novelty tune, but again, huge briefly. And it launched the Drag Race star into the mainstream.
10. A Little Respect by Erasure (1988) - Again, all of Erasure's catalogue could qualify for this list, but this gets a spot for the lyric, "What religion or reason could drive a man to forsake his lover?"



11. Chains of Love by Erasure (1988) - Okay, one more. This one is clearly about trying to express love for someone when society is against you. Fancy that.
12. Boom Boom (Let's Go Back to My Room) by Paul Lekakis (1987) - Unambiguously about doing it with Paul Lekakis in his room. Okay then!



And now that you're tuckered out from dancing, take your disco shoes off, and shuffle off to bed. It's a new week, and you have to work. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...