Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Classic 80s Music: How I Learned to Dance

And here we plunge headlong into the frivolity pool, as far removed from politics as is possible. Well, maybe not, because what got me thinking about this post was the topic of stereotypes.

Some stereotypes are painfully true, others not so much. I embody one, while missing the other one completely. As a white guy, I was always a rather pathetic dancer. This is despite "the gay thing," which is supposed to endow me with rhythm. Fortunately, I had MTV at my disposal. Unfortunately, it was in the 80s. These videos all included dancing that I tried to emulate, with little success.

#1 - Walk the Dinosaur - Was (Not Was) -- I never understood the name of the band, and I never understood the lyrics of the song either. I loved the tune though, and the dancers helpfully slow down the action to show you how to do this "difficult" dance.

#2 - Stand - R.E.M. -- Yes, even this revered band had a bad 80s dance in their video, though it was probably ironic (or intended to be). In any event, I spent quite a bit of time--believe it or not!--in front of the TV trying to do that stupid little dance.





#3 - Monkey - George Michael -- George doesn't really have a "dance," here, he just has a lot of silly moves that looked so cool in the 80s. Now, um, not so much. I have to give George credit though, for showing me to move my arms around.

#4 - Velcro Fly - ZZ Top -- The band must have been so embarrassed by this video, they left the song off of their greatest hits album. Paula Abdul is responsible for getting these bearded rockers to make fools of themselves. But the song ain't half bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...