Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Democratic Debate Tonight


I'm getting a little bit of a late start posting this evening, because I've been watching the Democratic Presidential Debate on MSNBC. I may comment more on the debate later, but for now, just a brief comment.

While there are glossy, focus-tested politically-motivated answers in both Democratic and Republican debates, I am struck by a stark difference. First, in the questioning. Republicans seem to be stuck on fear, terror, war, tough-guy talking and testosterone. Whether this is chiefly because of questions asked, or just the way they answer, I'm genuinely unsure.

Democratic challengers differ dramatically--in my view--in their tone, and in their thoughtfulness. Even dark horse Dennis Kucinich, who has by far the most different of the bunch, had well thought out, reasonable sounding answers. So far, I haven't heard abortion questions, or (much) religion questions, which inundate Republican debates. 9/11 may have been mentioned, but it sure isn't a theme.
By watching both sides debate removed from context, you would think they were held at two different points in history.

I'm not sure which candidate I'm for yet. But I believe I'd vote for any of the Democratic slate over any of the Republicans, even if the politics of the last six years had been more sedate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...