Friday, July 25, 2008

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Debated in Congress

As a liberal blogger, and as a gay man, it probably won't surprise you that I think "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is a really stupid policy. I understand that lots of straight folks out there have a problem with homosexuality in general, but I'd like to ask people with that view a question. If there were a draft right now--and there was no ban on gay military service--what would you think of a gay draftee that claimed he was exempt because he was gay?

You'd call that guy (or gal) a coward, wouldn't you? Taking the easy way out (like George W.). While I've never been in the military (way too uncoordinated, too lazy, plus I have a lazy eye), I think it is ridiculous that if I wanted to join the military, I'd be banned from doing so. I'm human, I'm a citizen, and I interact quite well with other people. I've never jumped a coworker, never taken liberties at camp (band camp, church camp, Boy Scout camp), never had any problem restraining myself. So why would any (extremely disciplined) military officer have a problem? It's just stupid. And here is a video that illustrates that stupidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...