Friday, August 29, 2008

McCain's Palin Announcement: A Live Review


Image from source, Wikipedia

Since I'm home, and watching, I thought I'd type a report of the John McCain introduction of Sarah Palin as his VP pick.

He's got a biggish crowd, crowded much closer than the audience at Invesco Field last night. He's got an enthusiastic response, on the applause lines at least. They're a little on the NASCAR side, which is OK for me to say, because I'm from Ohio, and know whereof I speak! He's got hand-painted campaign signs, cheerleaders with pom poms, and a squealing microphone.

OK, Palin is introduced. Crowd goes wild. Music abruptly cuts off. She's pretty. Doesn't have a girly voice, which I frankly expected her to have. Not quite Elle Woods, at least on first impression. I'm always a little suspicious of hard-right younger women. I wonder, what the heck happened to her? She looks like she could be McCain's granddaughter, which she almost could be.

Nice looking husband and family. Palin has a decent amount of charisma, which is something McCain plainly lacks. Now she's talking a little more in depth about personal family stuff. Back on track, talking about her son enlisting in the army on September 11th. What's his name? Tack? Track? Crowd erupts into short burst of "USA! USA!" I guess the Iraq War is still a popular deal in Dayton.

She just invoked the POW card for McCain, and committed a little bit of an Ohio sin. . .she praised former Sen. John Glenn. . .a hated figure amongst Ohio Republicans.
She's reminding me a little of Sally Field now, even if she's right-wing. Now, giving a shout-out to Hillary Clinton. She's going for the ever-elusive PUMAs with a "18 million cracks in the glass ceiling" comment. She's wrapping up. Sounds a little like Marge Simpson trying to rally a Springfield audience.

My take: Grandpa and Gidget
(all right, that's just what they look like, but it's funny!)

1 comment:

  1. Just think... Should something awful happen to McCain we get a 44 year old former Miss America contestant as president. Rich.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...