Monday, August 17, 2009

Late to the Party: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog


I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan, but for the most part, I've been late to the party on seeing his work. I saw the original (much meddled-with) Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie soon after the video came out. I enjoyed it, and put it in a category with Heathers, Clueless and The Craft. But of that bunch, it was the lightest and fluffiest. Little did I know that Joss' vision was tampered with, and that the final product was not what he had in mind.

Much later, when Buffy came to TV, it was on the WB network, and I'm not even sure we got it on cable here in Las Vegas. I knew of it, had some fleeting interest, but didn't pay any attention to it. I remember when there was some controversy, right at the time of the Columbine guns in school incident, when the Buffy TV show had to be postponed because of similarities. That caught my attention enough to check it out. I liked it, but forgot about it. Then, there was the big graduation episode, which I caught. And even later, Buffy's death, and transition to the UPN network. By this time, I was hooked, and caught every subsequent episode.

I rewatched everything in reruns and became a passionate fan, up to the point of getting every DVD box set. I've rewatched them all again, too. But I hadn't yet seen Angel, the spin-off series, except for a couple of episodes caught on a whim. So, I sought them out, got them all, and became a passionate Angel fan as well. Prior to this, when Firefly was premiered, I watched the first episode, and skipped the rest, not quite "getting it." The show was quickly cancelled, but became a massive cult hit, resulting in the release of Serenity, the movie version. I still haven't seen any more of that series, but intend to soon.

I didn't make this mistake when Dollhouse premiered last winter. I watched from the beginning, and while the initial episodes were so-so (due to network interference), I could see the potential. Over the next several episodes, I was rewarded with one of the most intriguing shows on television, which escaped cancellation, and will receive at least a half-season this fall. Whatever happens to it, I'm glad I got in on the ground floor (for once) of a Joss Whedon creation.

That leaves one missing Whedonverse element though, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. It was a web series starring Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion circa the 2007 writers' strike. I've heard about it forever, and meant to check it out. At the urging of a friend I finally did. And as fate would have it, it's available on Hulu and embeddable!

The story revolves around a wannabe super-villain, his super-hero nemesis and the girl that comes between them. Leave it to Joss to make the story silly, funny and touching all at the same time. The music also shows that the Buffy episode, "Once More, With Feeling!" wasn't a fluke. So even though I'm spectacularly late to the party, I thought I'd share the video with anyone who--like me--hadn't discovered it yet. Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...