Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Can a "Good Gay" be a Conservative?

Following up on yesterday's post about gay conservatives--and my utter befuddlement with them--here is an excerpt of a post from someone making the case. It's kind of a flimsy case, but she gives it an effort.  As usual, it is pointed out that Democrats promise action on gay rights issues, but they don't deliver.  What is missing from the argument is how Republicans would be any better than that.  I mean just today, it was reported that Senate Republicans are trying to stop the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Democrats--most of them--are trying to get rid of the policy.  How does supporting the election of more Republicans help?

I get the feeling that conservative Republicans are in the game more for the fiscal issues (though those are mostly theoretical arguments), and are hand-waving away the socially conservative positions of Republicans. Or maybe they're saying, "Hey, with Democrats you don't know whether or not they have our backs. With Republicans we know upfront that they don't." As I said, I don't get it.  Anyway, check out her piece, and while you're at it, scroll down to the commentary. They're more revealing than the article itself.

[Excerpt]

Can you be a good gay and conservative?

. . .I have been offered an opportunity here to present the views of gay conservatives like me. As a board member of GOProud, an advocacy organization for gay conservatives and our allies, I believe strongly that there are many conservative policy initiatives that could improve the everyday lives of gays and lesbians.



I didn’t spring from the womb a Goldwater conservative. I grew up in a staunchly liberal household and held those ideals during my youth. Over the years, however, my personal and professional experiences caused my political views to shift and I embraced the conservative and libertarian values of free minds, free markets and limited government. I also came to believe that there is a very compelling case to be made for a conservative/libertarian approach to advancing equality. . .

Read more at: Washington Blade

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...