Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rachel Maddow's Political Enthusiasm Creates Stir

Image from source, TV Squad

I've said several times here that I occasionally listen to the conservative talk radio station on my short drive home from work. We have no liberal station here in Las Vegas, and I like to keep tabs on what the right-wing talkers are up to anyway. It can get difficult to even attempt, because on  my ride home Mark Levin is the voice I have to hear (unless I want to completely scramble my brain, and listen to Michael Weiner Savage).  Levin is nearly as bombastic, much more whiny, but--I suspect--more sane, at least when the microphone is off.

Liberal talker Randi Rhodes (who I can only listen to on my computer) does a great Levin impression: "Statist! Marxist! America hater! THERE, I SAID IT!" And she's dead on the money. Anyway, today Levin played a clip from MSNBC's primary election coverage, and it sort of mystified me. It was a clip of Rachel Maddow expressing enthusiasm about the political news of the day. Levin was implying something about the clip below, but what it was I can't be sure. He called her a misogynist, which made zero sense to me.  I'd forgotten about it, until I saw that it was an item on TV Squad, one AOL's entertainment pages. They're not usually political, so I figure this event must've been making a bigger dent than I supposed.

Is it because she used the word "vibrating?" Something sexual? Something to do with the fact that she's a lesbian? I still can't be sure. Because in the context of Rachel's overall personality, excitement about election night is par for the course. She's not excited by a particular candidate, or by a particular party, she's just excited about democracy and politics in action.  I'm still baffled by the fuss.

[Excerpt]

Rachel Maddow's Chris Matthews Moment: "I Am Vibrating Off My Seat" With Excitement



. . .Describing her enthusiasm, she told Keith she was having "election night sweats," and that she was "vibrating off my seat at a height of about six inches." Olbermann visibly struggled not to burst out laughing, and instead warned Rachel that she was "getting into Matthews territory here," a reference to his co-host's infamous "I feel a thrill running up my leg comment" after listening to a Barack Obama speech. Always self-deprecating, Rachel laughed it off and told Keith she appreciated the warning. . .

Read more at: TV Squad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...