Friday, May 6, 2011

New Toy: Samsung Transform Android Phone

This morning, I got about a quarter mile from home, and realized I had my phone pouch, but not my phone. I thought about turning around to get it, but decided I really didn't need it. So, on to work I went. Shortly after I arrived at my desk, I got a call from The Other Half. Though I'd noticed him loading the washing machine before I left, I did not realize that my Samsung Rant telephone was in the pocket of the pants he was loading in there! D'oh!
To top off the inconvenience of drowning my phone, we're off to Mt. Charleston for the weekend, starting Friday afternoon. It is possible that the phone could be rescued (friends say put it in a baggie of rice), but probably not. Anyway, it's over two years old, and has an insufferable internet connection that is almost useless. We were only holding on to our phones because we were holding out for news of the iPhone 5 on Verizon or AT&T, and we wanted to see that shake out before we signed a two year contract. Our little accident made waiting impossible.

So, we hit the Sprint store, about 15 minutes before they closed. We checked out a phone that Stupid Monkey Planet recently acquired and liked, and it was only $29.95. But my eye wandered to a $99.95 jobbie that had a slide-out keyboard, and a touch screen. I fiddled with the on-screen only one, and found my thumbs messed up a lot. So, I went for the more expensive one. And for now, we only upgraded mine. Since there is a $10 surcharge for the extra super-duper data package (mandatory with the phone), we thought we'd find out how much we like it before we turn over the whole shebang.

So far, I think the phone is pretty nifty. It's iPhone-ish, from what I've seen. There are loads of apps from Android. It easily synchs with my Google ID. It jumped on my home network with no effort. But as a phone? That's the vexing part! I'm still having trouble quickly figuring out how to answer and hang up. I've accidentally called people twice already. But overall, I think I'm really going to dig it. And it will quell my iPhone lust for at least 6-12 months. I figure by the time my two years are up, they'll be on the iPhone 7 anyway. Updates should they become worthy1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...