Saturday, August 4, 2007

Did the Democrats Roll Over on Domestic Spying?

The left side of the blogosphere is aboil with indignation over what is seen as Democratic cowardice. The Senate approved a law allowing expanded spying within the US.

Comments like this one:

[Excerpt from: WashingtonPost.com]

Democrats "have a Pavlovian reaction: Whenever the president says the word 'terrorism,' they roll over and play dead," said Caroline Fredrickson, Washington legislative director of the American Civil Liberties Union.


My take is not quite so strongly against. Yes, it bugs me that a president with a 25-30% approval rating is still able to have such influence. I'm irritated that we're allowing surveillance that goes way over the Constitutional line (in my opinion). But, I think the fact that this is temporary, and that Congress has six months to work on a more comprehensive, thoughtful bill is ultimately a good thing.

Whenever a bill is forced through, with much bluster and stamping of feet, I get suspicious. What's the friggin' hurry? At least this way, the President can stop his tantrum, think he won, and we can cross our fingers, and hope Congress does the right thing in the end.

OK, now I'm dreaming. . .

For more on this story, read: WashingtonPost.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...