Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Oklahoma's War On Terrorism Plate

Image from OnlineDMV.com

Let me start by saying, I don't hate America. I don't love, coddle or want to appease terrorists or terrorism. Thinking that over-the-top, wrapped in the flag patriotism is silly doesn't change those facts.

I work at a sign company, and right after 9/11 we immediately started making American Flag decals and other patriotic signage, both for our own vehicles, and for our customers (often for free). Nothing too over-the-top, but we were festooned like it was the bicentennial. But very shortly after that, we started getting requests for things like the crying eagle in front of the burning towers surrounded by the flag. Even more puzzling, "God Bless America 9-11-01" surrounding the Pentagon with burning towers in the middle.

Even though it was that same month of September, I was slightly nauseated. I mean, I know these people were motivated by the same impulses we were with our flag stickers, but there was something about these messages that just seemed somehow off to me. It was the same feeling I had when, right after the Gulf War started, I spied people wearing desert camouflage, and T-shirts with "Operation Desert Storm!" logos on the front.

We brand wars and even terrorist attacks just as much as we brand our food (see post below).

But somebody please tell me this is somebody's idea of a bad joke. Oklahoma just can't be offering this "special" license plate, can they? It isn't just the sentiment, it's the design. It is just beyond amateurish. A clip art eagle? CLIP ART?!? Pixelated cammo? This is just wrong on so many levels. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...