Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day Laziness, On and Offline


Image from ArmisteadMaupin.com

Yes, Labor Day, the holiday supporting work by not doing any! I have to say, it is very welcome. Unlike the Other Half, who works for an airline, and gets the occasional three, four or even five days off or more in a row, I have the type of job most Americans have. Or is that "US Americans?" Miss Teen South Carolina has invaded my brain.

Anyway, my job has many plusses, but one of the minuses is that the odd three-day weekend is rare indeed. It's actually hard for me to believe it's Monday. It sure feels like a Sunday, and it's almost over at that. But other than some housework and errands, it has been a nice lazy day.

I finished a book that I feel like I only just started, Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin. It's a sequel of sorts to the six-book series, Tales of the City. I heartily recommend anything by the author, and particularly the original series, and the televised versions.

It was great to catch up with the characters, but the many years since the last book, the three miniseries with cast changes along the way, and the knowledge that Michael is based somewhat on Armistead made it hard to focus on just who the characters were. And the ending, though a bit upbeat, left me feeling melancholy.

So, I signed on to the blog, fired up the Internet, and found--well, not much of anything. The news is sort of on hold, as are most of the blogs, so I am not alone. Actually, I sort of am alone, as very few readers have found me today. Maybe we all just needed a break. I'm sure when Countdown with Keith Olbermann starts in a few minutes, even Mr. Olbermann is probably away for the day. [Ed: Updated to say, the program isn't even on tonight]. Now, if I could just sleep in tomorrow.

I'll be back later this evening, if only for a couple of nice frivolous posts. I have a few fun things backlogged, even if they're (as usual) apropos of nothing. And as they say, "no news is good news," right?
Oh, and don't tell me that Bush's "surprise" visit to Iraq was news. I've seen enough of these photo-ops to recognize them by now, with or without a plastic turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...