Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Scientology a Criminal Enterprise?

(Hat-tip to StupidMonkeyPlanet)

I will concede that I occasionally "salt" my blog with stories that I think might catch people's notice. While every story and post has something to do with my own personal interests, it makes sense to do stories that people want to read, and are likely to search for on "the Google."

So, I've done a story or two on how stupid Freepers are, how weirdly devoted some bloggers are to FOX "News," how some of the same bloggers suffer from "Keith Olbermann Derangement Syndrome." Thus, this story might be seen as a deliberate attempt to get angry Scientologists to check out my site, and start a flame war, thus growing my readership.

Not exactly (but it wouldn't hurt). I'm not going to take sides here, other than to reiterate my antipathy to most religions, even those invented by 50s science fiction authors. . .

[Excerpt]

Scientology Faces Criminal Charges

BRUSSELS — A Belgian prosecutor on Tuesday recommended that the U.S.-based Church of Scientology stand trial for fraud and extortion, following a 10-year investigation that concluded the group should be labeled a criminal organization.

Scientology said it would fight the criminal charges recommended by investigating prosecutor Jean-Claude Van Espen, who said that up to 12 unidentified people should face charges.
Van Espen's probe also concluded that Scientology's Brussels-based Europe office and its Belgian missions conducted unlawful practices in medicine, violated privacy laws and used illegal business contracts, said Lieve Pellens, a spokeswoman at the Federal Prosecutors Office.


"They also face charges of being ... a criminal organization," Pellens said in a telephone interview.

An administrative court will decide whether to press charges against the Scientologists. . .

Read on at: Newsvine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...