Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Science of ABBA: Is Their Music Addictive?


Photo from source, Chicago Sun-Times

The Other Half and I haven't set off to see Mamma Mia! yet, somewhat crestfallen by Entertainment Weekly's less than stellar review. The musical, set to the biggest hits of Swedish megagroup, ABBA, was frothy and light as a stage show, so we're not expecting The Wizard of Oz here. But it dashed the urgency to see the film.

That didn't stop me from playing an ABBA track on my Windows Media Player when I sat down to write this though. I was an ABBA fan as a little boy, knowing all of the lyrics to Waterloo when I was 8, and winning a 45-single of Knowing Me, Knowing You at a Jr. High School dance. I had their Greatest Hits album before they had more than three or four US hits, and before my little brother and I were even out of bunk beds. And I used it to torture said brother with repeated playings of Nina, Pretty Ballerina.

Despite his protestations--to this day--that Nina was a great song, I'll bet if you sang a few bars, he'd complete them for you. And that tells you how catchy they are. And now science might even be able to tell us why. . .

[Excerpt]

Why are ABBA songs so infectious? Science has answers

It only takes a single exposure, and in an instant, your whole day can change. The infection is rapid and feels potentially unending. One minute you’re minding your own business and the next you find that you can’t stop thinking, humming, or singing ‘‘Dancing Queen.’’
‘‘Friday night and the lights are low. . .’’

No matter what you try, you can’t shake it. In fact, once you start thinking about ABBA, you’re a goner. . .

Read more at: Chicago Sun-Times


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...