Friday, April 24, 2009

Weekend Project #1: Jeep de-Aging (Pt. 1)


I'm in the house on a break from my first part of my first project for the weekend. I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport, and while it still looks pretty good, its age is starting to show.


The great thing about owning a Jeep Wrangler (or CJ) is that to the general public, they all look the same. Ask my Mom to point out the difference between a 78 CJ-7, and 87 YJ, a 97 TJ or a 2007 JK, she couldn't do it. For the uninitiated, the CJs had rounded rear wheel openings, the YJs had square headlamps, the TJs brought back the awesome, updating yet retaining characteristics of classic Jeeps, and the new JKs made the front end look like a loaf of Spam (I want one anyway).

People who pay attention to cars and trucks probably recognize my TJ from the 1997-2006 span. But only two things really give it away as one of the early TJs: different side mirrors, and aged fender flares. The fender flares are made of vinyl, and they have a tendency to fade in the sun. Worse, the fading is irregular and spotty. Nothing makes them look new again.


Except: buying new flares! So, I had my mom get me a set off of eBay for my birthday. Thinking this would be the easiest car repair I ever undertook, I started to day at about noon. Basically, all this involves is unbolting the old flares and bolting on the new ones (plus replacing the parking lights). Easy right? Yeah, I thought so too.

I could add a new "enhanced interrogation technique" to the CIA's list by suggesting this chore. "Stress positions" would be the key word here. For most of the bolt removals/reinstallations, you need both hands. And you need to get them into awkward, unnatural positions. To make things worse, Chrysler used bolts with very shallow heads, making a constant grip with the socket wrench impossible. So after 2 hours, I needed a break. I managed to get the front left fender, parking light, and accent piece changed out. I started with the bolts on the left rear, but grew weary quickly. Need lunch. Need band aids. Need rest!

So my weekend project may go over two or three days. And we haven't even gotten to Weekend Project #2: computer power supply!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...