Sunday, April 19, 2009

Where's My DC Comics Super Hero Movie?


Yeah, yeah, I know, The Dark Knight. Color me underwhelmed. I tried to like it. I wanted to like it. Everybody said I would like it. But it was just meh for me. I'm in the minority, I am aware. But Batman always seemed like one of the most unlikely, unrealistic superheroes out there. He's got no super powers. OK, that makes him more realistic, but not in the world of super heroics.

For years, we have been promised a variety of DC Comics superhero movies. But outside of the current reimagined Batman series, and the rebooted (soon to be rebooted again?) Superman series, we haven't seen much. Catwoman simply doesn't count. She's a villain, and the movie sucked. So forget her. Watchmen? Fine, you've got me there, but that movie was based on a niche graphic novel, not an established hero or group. Marvel churns out countless successful (commercially at least) hero movies. Why not my old favorite DC heroes?

On the drawing boards for years, and allegedly "coming soon" are Wonder Woman, Shazam! (The Original Captain Marvel), Firestorm: The Nuclear Man, Green Lantern, Plastic Man and The Justice League of America. But there is precious little information about them, and I wonder if they'll ever be made.

Superman Returns was treated like a bomb, even though it wasn't. I think Brandon Routh did an admirable job in the role, and I hope they keep him around for a sequel, a JLA movie, or a "Brave and the Bold/World's Finest" team-up with Batman. But those two characters seem to be the only major DC heroes that Warner Brothers seems to have faith in.

I understand that Wonder Woman will always have Lynda Carter to live up to, even though her 70s show doesn't hold up well to modern times. And I get that characters like Plastic Man, Green Lantern and Firestorm would require immense CGI to even come close to the comic book personas. And I know that The Flash couldn't muster enough interest to secure a second season of TV back in the 90s. But, DC, you are letting Marvel walk all over you. There has to be a way to deliver the same Bam! Boom! Pow! of Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Iron Man with DC heroes. I'm waiting. And at (as of a half-hour ago) 43, I'm not getting any younger!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...