Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Troy Davis Executed Despite High-Level Pleas

Image from source, MSNBC
I didn't know much about this case before Tuesday night. Davis's was the latest in a series of executions of people who just might not have been guilty of the crime they were accused of. The things that stand out to me:

- This crime happened in 1989. 22 freaking years ago.
- This guy was in his mid-40s, but was in his early 20s when this happened. Very different ages.
- One of the other guys associated with this crime seems just as likely to have done it.
- 7 out of 9 witnesses have recanted their testimony. That's a lot.
- Despite pleas from former President Jimmy Carter and the friggin' POPE, the US Supreme Court wouldn't hear it. Which means nothing would sway them I guess.

I have no idea if Troy Davis was guilty. But the possibility is very, very frightening.  If this man wasn't guilty, I can only hope that the attention he has drawn will help prevent any further innocent people from being executed.


[Executed]

Georgia executes Troy Davis after his last pleas fail 

Troy Davis was put to death by lethal injection late Wednesday for the 1989 murder of an off-duty police officer, maintaining his innocence until the end after convincing thousands of it, but not the justice system. . .

Read more at: MSNBC

2 comments:

  1. I just following this case a couple days ago and posted today.
    But the guy final words are words a lawyer would be proud of:
    "I'd like to address the MacPhail family. Let you know, despite the situation you are in, I'm not the one who personally killed your son, your father, your brother. I am innocent," he said.
    "The incident that happened that night is not my fault. I did not have a gun. All I can ask ... is that you look deeper into this case so that you really can finally see the truth," he said.
    He doesn't deny he was there- just he didn't pull the trigger. He still is culpable if he was there participating inthe attack.
    So, they executed the right guy. And Who cares what Carter and the Pope thinks (I thought you were atheist)They are against every death penalty case, even if it involved Hitler.
    So, why weren't you against the execution of the murderer of James Byrd, the black gay man?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,

    Actually, I consider myself an atheistic agnostic, but I know that's a thin distinction if you are not one. I personally don't care what the Pope thinks. I was just pointing out that if you've got the Pope and a former President in your corner, and you're still turned down, you've reached your ceiling on "higher ups."

    As for executing a guy who is there but didn't shoot? No, I'm not for that. He may have been a dirtbag, but he's been in prison for 22 years for something he did at what, 20? 21? Now maybe he was evil, and completely into what happened. But what if he wasn't? How do we know?

    I understand why people are starting to get animated about the death penalty.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...