Saturday, August 25, 2007

AOL Hell Continues


My last report was overly optimistic. After having to force the software to shut down after it got stuck in a "Not Responding" mode, I tried to restart. Nothing.

I'm giving them one more chance. I'm going to download the regular version of AOL (non-beta), and see if that works. If it has the same problem, I may finally just give up on AOL all together.

It's a shame. I've been with them for probably a dozen years, and I really enjoy the interface more than Internet browsers. But the headaches have been growing since the program went free, and if their software won't even work, why should I give myself another migraine trying to fix it?

UPDATE:
After downloading the regular AOL VR program, I'm still unable to use the software, without disabling all firewalls. The pragmatist in me says "ditch the program," like I've said before. But the tinkerer in me doesn't want to give up, and be defeated! So, I'm going to slog through this a little while longer.

UPDATE II: I believe I've found the solution. I've uninstalled all hint of McAfee from my system, have reverted to the Windows firewall, and installed the free AVG virus checker. All seems to be well! So instead of dumping AOL--at least for now--I've dumped McAfee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...