Friday, August 17, 2007

The Political Brain: Is Reason Overrated?


In previous posts, I've spent a lot of time touting Al Gore's The Assault on Reason. I've lamented the lack of reason, intelligent thought, justice and truth in politics and in society. Did I have it all wrong?

I've started reading (cue ominous music) a new book, The Political Brain by Drew Westen. So far it is really fascinating, showing how politics works on an emotional and intellectual level, and also quite a bit about the biology at work.

Along with all of this very interesting stuff is a point, made strongly and repeatedly that goes against what I have believed and promoted. Westen posits that it is precisely reason and logic that has caused the Democratic Party to lose elections over the years. Conversely, it is the Republican Party's appeals to emotion--at the expense of reason--that has won them so many elections.

I'd hate to see the Democrats throw reason on the bonfire, and emulate Karl Rove's nasty methodology. But if I must admit that my position (and Al Gore's) is wrong, would it be too much to ask that appeals to emotion also be reasonable? Is it necessary to be intentionally misleading to win elections? I hope not.
More, after I finish the book. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...