Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Frivolity Break: Dynasty With Special Guest Stars

Back in the early 80s, my best friend Keith turned me on to a show called Dynasty, a tawdry, trashy series about rich people in Colorado. I was hooked from the first episode I watched. Though I missed the (fairly tragic) season 1--only to catch in reruns a few years later--I never missed an episode after that. I even hung on after the fantastic Moldavian Massacre, and the unsatisfying resolution.

Krystle's evil twin couldn't scare me away. The fact that each Carrington offspring was played by two different actors couldn't do it. Stephen's "I'm gay!" "I'm straight" "I'm gay again!" storylines couldn't shake me. I watched until the bitter end, and beyond to the reunion movie. Aaron Spelling was the master of the "so bad, it's good" TV series, from Charlie's Angels to Love Boat, to Fantasy Island, T.J. Hooker and Hart to Hart, I was there. His shows are a huge part of my childhood. And it didn't stop there. Spelling recreated the trashtacular Dynasty in the 90s with Melrose Place, another show I watched until the (again) bitter end.

This re-imagining of the intro to Dynasty had me in stitches. I was literally in tears by the end. It just gets funnier and funnier. Given Dynasty's bombastic opening music, and lavish credits, the juxtaposition of different "stars" just hit my funnybone. Maybe you had to be there.



Source: TV Squad

1 comment:

  1. OMG Is that hillarious or what? Where do u come up with these? Keep'em comin'...I check in daily and look forward to your quirky posts! BTW....have you checked out Geri Haliwell's video for "Scream if you wanna go faster" pretty good but "Look at Me" is the alltime bomb

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...