Monday, June 15, 2009

My Letter to the President on DOMA Brief


I wrote a letter to President Obama this evening, and thought I'd share it here.

Dear President Obama,

I have been a supporter of yours since early in 2008. I caucused for you, have advocated for you on my blog, have donated to your campaign, and voted for you in November. Since the election, I have continued in my support.

But as a gay American (one of those who got married in California in 2008), I'm disheartened and terribly disappointed with the treatment the gay and lesbian community has been given by your administration.

I know that we probably seem rather pushy and whiny. We seem that way to me sometimes too. But the strange behavior of your administration as it pertains to gay rights issues has steadily declined to the point where I don't think it would be whiny to lodge a protest.

The brief filed in defense of DOMA late last week was particularly egregious. I simply cannot understand how our "fierce advocate" could have allowed such insulting and damaging language to be released in an official document. And I can't reconcile it with your campaign promises.

I haven't given up on you yet. I often get the feeling that you are playing chess while everybody else just sees checkers. However, I will not be enthusiastic about support if this topic goes unaddressed. And I certainly will not be donating to any Democratic fundraisers if this kind of treatment continues. I'm sure you understand.

Respectfully,

James L. Greenlee
Editor, Greenlee Gazette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...