Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Obama to Announce Benefits to Gay Federal Workers


Image from source, MSNBC

Over the last few days, the gay community has become incensed (after being already agitated) by President Obama and his administration. After a bevy of promises, including repealing DADT (Don't Ask, Don't Tell) and DOMA (the Defense of Marriage Act), the administration has hemmed and hawed, and scaled back on their promises--when they've had anything to say about them at all. And the exceedingly nasty Department of Justice brief defending DOMA made all of that ten times worse.

Perhaps sensing a revolt in a key constituency, Obama is reportedly poised to extend benefits to the partners of GLBT federal employees. Whoopee. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but how many people would that be? I am personally affected by DOMA, and have never been a federal employee. So not only does this not fulfill any promise, it also doesn't do me a lick of good.

I've never really been a "me, me,me" sort of animal. But when a Presidential candidate makes repeated and pointed promises to me, then doesn't just back away from it, but virtually attacks my marriage, I sit up and take notice. If the Obama Administration thinks that this "bone" being thrown to us is going to shut us up, I'm afraid they have another think coming.



2 comments:

  1. I think this opens an interesting door. You have government employees competent enough to BE employees, now their spouses receiving benefits. You have gay congressmen, senators also receiving pay and benefits. Doesn't this make a case for the men and women that have been fired in the military? This could be very strategic in legally opening a case for government job equality. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and couldn't translators be put under a government position rather than a military title?

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...