Friday, September 25, 2009

Fall TV: FlashForward


Image from source, TV Squad

Well, I don't know about you all, but I loved it. It wasn't quite as awe-inspiring as the premiere of Lost, but it was close. If everyone on earth experienced a blackout for over two minutes, there would be a hell of a lot of mayhem, possibly more than they've shown so far. Every car, every plane would be careening out of control. People crossing the street, people climbing rocks or even going up the stairs would be in immediate peril.

They showed some of that, but unfortunately, things seemed to go back to "normal" a little too quickly. Still, I think they did an admirable job, and I'm hooked. I'll be back for as many weeks as ABC gives the show. Which, as we know, could be seven seasons, or seven episodes. Time will tell.

For the last several seasons, I've given a pass to several shows that I feared would die a quick death, like Day One, Invasion and Jericho. I was right, and those shows bit the dust before any resolution could take place. On other shows like Swingtown, Traveler and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, I watched despite those fears, only to be disappointed by (too soon) cancellations. But I'm biting the bullet with FlashForward and hoping for the best. By the way, if you missed it on Thursday, the show is re-running tonight at 8:00pm. Watch it! Please?

[Excerpt]

FlashForward: No More Good Days

Well, that was it. The most eagerly anticipated premiere of the season, if early buzz is any indicator. Is it the next Lost? Is it as good as everyone says it was? It can be. As much as I liked this pilot, though, I can't say that I know for sure how good the show is going to be based on it. . .

Read more at: TV Squad


4 comments:

  1. I though it was ridiculous in premise (but then time travel movies and shows always have gigantic holes). I just kept hoping a character would say, "did you have a big ass scar on your face in your "vision?" And when the reply was "No," that the first person would cut them (or possibly something less gory). Or ask a woman with long hair if her hair was still long in her 6 month forward vision and if she answered in the affirmative, shave her head. Or "Where you still driving the same car?", and then sell it. etc. etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sci-fi shows aren't for everybody. Some people can't suspend disbelief to allow enjoyment of space travel, paranormal activity, aliens or (maybe especially) time travel. But when a show's very premise is based on one of those (or all of them), you've either got to dive in, or avoid the pool altogether, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actual just fine with sci-fi, I enjoy it as a genre on-the-whole. But my brain saw the flaws right away and I could then no longer enjoy it or understand why the characters wouldn't think the same way. I just wish the writers would have seen this too and handled it for all us sceptical thinkers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect they'll cover some of that in future episodes. It remains to be seen what the "rules" are for the timestream in this show's mythology. "The future is set," vs. "No fate, but what we make." Is it fore-warned is fore-armed, or will "fate" prevent characters from making changes? I'm interested enough to find out.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...