Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Remembering Grandma Greenlee


My first haircut, with Grandma in 1968

My last remaining grandparent passed away this evening. Living 2,000 miles away, I have not seen her much in recent years, somewhat to my regret. She had an illness akin to Alzheimer's disease, and didn't recognize me last time I saw her. Fortunately, though she didn't know me, her personality and kindness remained intact. A bittersweet visit actually turned lighthearted when she tried to fix up my--long divorced--parents!

Grandma Lillie Greenlee was born in the 1910s, and was married to my Grandpa McKinley (Mac) for over 50 years. Hers was the "warm, cuddly, pie-baking" household, in sharp contrast to my maternal grandmother, who was not. Leaving Grandma Greenlee's house was always sad for my brother and I, sometimes ending in tears (particularly when the other Grandma was picking us up!). Unfortunately, I left Ohio in 1994, just a couple of years after Grandpa died, and Grandma's slow decline started around the same time. So my memories of her are more distant that they could have--or should have--been. I will likely be joining my cousins, Dad and the rest of the family in Ohio this weekend, though the details have yet to be hammered out.

In any event, here's to you Grandma! You made your family very happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...