Saturday, June 19, 2010

Captain Obvious: Oh, Just a A Lot Of Stuff

During the waning years of the Bush Era, I started blogging out of frustration.  Once we entered the Obama Era, I breathed a slight breath of relief, but that exhalation is leaving me gasping for air. Yes, there are things about Obama's reign that leave me wanting more. Yes, there are things that haven't come to pass.

I want the over-reaches of the Bush Administration (Guantanamo, rendition, etc.) to be stopped. I'd love for the evils of Dick Cheney (and many others) rectified. I'd like for gay rights issues to be treated with more urgency (and for the Obama Administration to not fight against us). 

Right now, it is conventional wisdom that the Republicans will make major inroads this November.  The pendulum nearly always swings to the party not held by the presidency during mid-term elections. But my big sticking point is this: Republicans broke this country.  The fact that the Democrats couldn't fix it all in 1-1/2 years should not mean that it is time for the other team to take a crack at bat.

Especially when the other team's players seem like some demented political cartoon. Michele Bachmann. Sarah Palin. John Boehner. Mitch McConnell. Lindsey Graham. Eric Cantor. Bobby Jindal. Do these people seem like upright, straight-ahead, "answers for America" people to you?  Seriously?

I'm afraid that Democratic disillusionment with their own candidates, and the bizarre, wingnut fringe of the Republican Party (teabaggers) will usher in the craziest, nuttiest, most embarrassing era in American politics. So, please, progressives. I know you're not jazzed right now. But don't let this bunch take over!  Please????

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...