Monday, April 6, 2009

Frivolity Break: Laura Leighton Returns to Melrose Place


Photo from source, Socialite Life

Everybody has their guilty pleasures. Whether it's professional wrestling, soap operas, ABBA, Clay Aiken, or Judge Judy, we all have them. As something of a pop culture junkie (though not as much as I get older) I've had more than my share. But none was guiltier or trashier than Melrose Place.

I got hooked mostly to see the gay character played by Doug Savant, pictured here with Laura Leighton (who is his wife), and Marcia Cross. Melrose Place was something of an updated, more youthful Dynasty, and both were from Aaron Spelling. Coincidentally (or maybe not so much), I started watching Dynasty for the character of Stephen, played by Jack Coleman (Noah on Heroes).

Anyway, neither Stephen nor Matt (Savant's character) got any action at all on their shows. But it was enough to get me hooked on both. I probably watched every single episode of each, well beyond their primes. The common denominator (beyond what I've already mentioned) was Heather Locklear, who took the lion's share of Melrose Place's attention. No offense to Heather, but it was the two ladies in the picture who provided the best scenes and the most interesting story lines on MP.

Both were evil redheads, both were crazy, and both died on the show. Which presents a dilemma for the writers, I suppose. I mean they're reviving the show, which isn't so hard to do. But they're also reviving Leighton's character, Sydney, who was run down and squashed by a car on her wedding night! Bringing back either Cross' evil Kimberly or even Savant's Matt would be even more difficult. Sure, they're both also dead in the storyline, but they also co-star on one of my other guilty pleasures, Desperate Housewives.

It's all very silly, and I'll probably watch every single episode.

[Excerpt]

Laura Leighton To Reprise Sydney Andrews On 'Melrose Place' Remake

The bitch is back. Okay, I may now actually watch the pilot. Original Melrose Place actress Laura Leighton has joined the CW pilot in a recurring role. . .

Read more at: Socialite Life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...