Tuesday, March 23, 2010

One Last Word on Health Care Reform and Republicans


Image from source, CBS News

OK, that is probably a promise I won't be able to keep, but I'll try to have this be the last post on the subject for at least the next few posts, OK? And yeah, I'm aware that my attitude about Republicans might change as we get closer to November. Oh, my opinion of them won't improve, but I acknowledge that they may become more formidable, election-wise.

I don't think it's going to be quite the bloodbath the GOP is hoping for (or the FReepers, see below). It's just that a) the leading Republicans are outlandish cartoon characters, b) the Tea Baggers have made conservatives seem loony, c) the racism homophobia and basic ass-hattery that has been bubbling under the surface is starting erupt, and d) it is hard to sustain this level of anger and invective after a law has passed. Especially if all of the doom-and-gloom predicted does not come to pass. Which it won't.

It never does. From women's suffrage to civil rights to Medicare to gay marriage, all of the GOP-lead fear mongering has never been borne out. I read somewhere on the interwebs that the Republicans really should adopt a paraphrased FDR quote as a motto: "We have nothing but fear itself." I think it fits.

[Excerpt]

The GOP Health Care Debacle

By late afternoon, the debate was just for show. The outcome was a foregone conclusion after the White House clinched an agreement with Michigan's Bart Stupak earlier in the day. Still, the GOP was intent on getting in its last licks during the general debate. And they made the best of the opportunity. . .

Read more at: CBS News


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...