Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Stuck on Stupid: American Flag Lapel Pins


Image from Bay Area New Democrats
When I was back home in Ohio, I had the misfortune to step into a couple of political cow-pies. My parents are both vague Republicans. That is to say, they're solidly Republican, but their political foundations are vague. Most of the issues I discuss they bring up sound very much like the high points (or low points, if you prefer) of a Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity screed.

So, much to my dismay, I had to talk about Reverend Jeremiah Wright. I had to defend "socialized medicine." And worst of all, I got drawn into a discussion about why Barack Obama "refuses" to wear a flag pin. These things are easier to handle online, where you can point them to the appropriate Snopes.com page. I think I set my parents straight, but it was sad that I had to discuss this unrelentingly stupid subject. Here's an editorial from a guy who's on my side. . .

[Excerpt]

Commentary: Make wearing a flag pin the 28th Amendment

When is the last time you watched a mindless movie that had no redeeming value for you intellectually, but all it did was make you laugh?

That perfectly describes the raging debate among voters and the rabid television and radio talk show hosts who love to yell and scream from the top of their lungs, "I'm an American, and by golly, you better show as much appreciation for this country as I do!". . .

Read more at: CNN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...