Monday, June 30, 2008

Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk: New Milk Jugs


Photo from source, New York Times

I don't know why I found this interesting, but I did. Wal-Mart and Sam's Club are introducing new milk jugs. Stop the presses! Yeah, I know, it doesn't rock you off your feet, but it is a fundamental change in something we're very used to.

Packaging changes happen all the time of course. Every other poured liquid (sometimes even powder) seems to come in an ultra-curvy container these days. With the milk, they've gone in the exact opposite direction: square. And, while I'm sure many like the current jugs for their after-market uses, are we really married to the old plastic jug? I mean, I don't miss the old tear-open paper cartons at all (though I dig the ones with a twist-off cap).

As a notorious klutz, I'm sure there will be some trial and error first. I haven't met a dripless spout that I can't make a mess with.

[Excerpt]

Solution, or Mess? A Milk Jug for a Green Earth

A simple change to the design of the gallon milk jug, adopted by Wal-Mart and Costco, seems made for the times. The jugs are cheaper to ship and better for the environment, the milk is fresher when it arrives in stores, and it costs less. . .

Read more at: New York Times



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...