Monday, June 30, 2008

Is "The Google" Making Us Stupid?


Image from source, The Atlantic

Excellent question! I used to be a neverending fountain of trivial information to all of my friends. Now, they don't have to ask, they just Google it. And if they do ask, I Google it. Or I IMDB.com it, or I Wikipedia it. Fortunately, I have a tendancy to retain what I read.

But what about the average Joe? Is all this easy-access information turning his brains to mush? Mushier?

[Excerpt]

Is Google Making Us Stupid?

. . .I think I know what’s going on. For more than a decade now, I’ve been spending a lot of time online, searching and surfing and sometimes adding to the great databases of the Internet. The Web has been a godsend to me as a writer. Research that once required days in the stacks or periodical rooms of libraries can now be done in minutes. A few Google searches, some quick clicks on hyperlinks, and I’ve got the telltale fact or pithy quote I was after. . .

Read more at: The Atlantic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...