Monday, January 26, 2009

Movies I Can't Wait to See: Friday the 13th!

Yes, really! I was 14 years old when the original came out. I snuck into the drive-in with some friends, we met up with some girls (a trend that would not continue!), and watched the original Friday the 13th from the front row in lawn chairs. At the climactic scene, I jumped up out of my chair, dumped the girl off my lap, hit my head on the speaker, fell back down into the chair, and then the speaker conked me on the head!

It has been a very long time since I got a scare like that from a movie. But it started an affair with cheesy horror films, including all of the sequels, the Halloween series, the Nightmare on Elm Street series, and many other clones, imitators and also-rans. Video stores blossomed in the early eighties, and the horror genre was highly represented. I watched them all.



But the Friday series was easily the weakest of the big franchises. I've seen every one multiple times, but none was truly a classic. The first and second were the best, but neither would wow audiences today. So, as is the trend in Hollywood these days, the series is getting a reboot. It's hard to tell by the trailer--which looks fantastic--because they can often be misleading.

But it looks like they got all of the cues, all of the nostalgic referrences, but with a seriously amped up fear factor, and a wicked-fast Jason Voorhees! So, I guess I'm in for another round of $18 popcorn and soda come February, Friday the 13th!

Visit the official site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...