Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Barack Obama Inauguration

Today, for all of its many layers of meaning to so many people, feels to me like a vindication. Part of it is a culmination of a year and a half of blogging, spurred by the frustration of two terms of what felt like oppressive rule by George W. Bush. Part of it is finally having a President that is smart, well-spoken, and seems to have the country's best interests at heart.

I don't want to sully this event with yet another screed against Bush, but his every speech, his every appearance was an embarrassment. And that feeling got ever worse to the point that it felt like it would never end. So while I want to feel good, only for the beginning of a new President's term, and all of the historical importance of this particular President, I must confess that much of my joy is for the departure of the last guy.

I don't have rose-colored glasses on. I don't consider Barack Obama to be "The One," "The Messiah," or "The Savior." But I do have high hopes, and that's something I haven't had in our government for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...