Sunday, January 25, 2009

New Computer: Adapting to Windows Vista


My new computer has been wonderful, and also a headache. Getting all of my software, and all of my hardware to work with Windows Vista has been a challange. I haven't figured out why everyone hates Vista yet, but I am discovering a few of my own limitations.

I started using Windows with version 3.0, and have self-taught myself all of the ins and outs. My familiarity with Windows quirks is quite extensive, but ends with Windows XP SP3, unfortunately. I sorta skipped Vista, except for the basic version I have on my notebook computer. So, the newness of Vista to me is a little baffling. Some of the file structure still confuses me, and because it is not compatible with my old (1995) scanner, I had to get a new one.

I bought a Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet J4580, which is an all-in-one fax, scanner and printer. The instructions are opaque to say the least. And though my computer is also an HP, it refuses to recognize that the new machine is family. So the control panel (referred to obliquely in the manual) says that no HP devices are installed. But it is. And it scans and prints. But I can't set any preferences or change the Fax settings. Arrrghhh. I'm far from a newby, but I'm stumped.

So I have my fourth weekend project. I will solve it. I always do. But what do novices do? I can't imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...