Sunday, July 25, 2010

Blast from the Past: Beer (and Malt Liquor) Ads from the Old Days

I've run several compilations of old ads and other videos from the past (though not as much lately). Last time, I reran one of my Blasts from the Pasts featuring soda pop ads of the 60s, 70s and 80s.  My good friend Stupid Monkey Planet suggested I should dig up some of the old beer and malt liquor ads. Why not?

My dad filled our rec room with countless beer signs when I was a kid in the 70s. It was only later that I found out what rotten taste in beer he had:  Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Blatz, Schlitz Malt Liquor. . .I'm burping just thinking about it. Might work up a beer fart too. . .






1. Schlitz Malt Liquor - Look out for the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull! He could show up about anywhere, even in racist ads! Stay tuned through the sorta painful first commercial for a second that will really take you back if you're of the 70s generation.

2. Pabst Blue Ribbon - Blecch.  I'll never understand how this beer got a following. I've got Pabst Blue Ribbon on my mind! So, you've got a headache?

3. Old Milwaukee - Old Milwaukee tastes as great as their name! I don't know, does Milwaukee have taste? Do they still wear giant letters on their clothes like on Laverne & Shirley?

4. Colt 45 - Before Billy Dee Williams took Colt 45 to the neighborhood, it had a distinctly different image. What image they were going for isn't clear, but it would seem to be "lounge lizard out of his element." Or something.

5. Miller High Life - It's Miller time! Miller High Life was huge with boomers, and I thought it kinda fazed out after MGD and other offshoots came out. But it's apparently made a comeback in recent years. If you've got the time, we've got the beer. . .MILLER BEER! Great jingle.

6. Lowenbrau - Here's to good friends. . .tonight is kinda special. . . This brand seemed to be catering to very early yuppies, making beer seem upscale. So, tonight, let it be Lowenbrau!

7. Budweiser - This is the coolest ad of the bunch. Budweiser is well known for its impactful commercials, but forget the frogs. Forget wazzzup! This one beats them all hands down. And just try to get that jingle out of your head. When you say Budweiser, you've said it all!

8. Lite Beer from Miller - Miller Light used to be known as "Lite."  And they may have started the trend of star-studded, themed commercials. Miller Light's has spanned decades, using celebrities like John Madden, Bubba Smith and Rodney Dangerfield. Lite Beer from Miller. . .everything you always wanted in a beer. And less.

4 comments:

  1. Did you (or your dad) grow up in Wisconsin? Your dad's taste in beer sounds exactly like the brands that were big around here in the 70s. Blatz and Old Swill were my grandparents' beers of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I grew up in Ohio, but my Mom & Dad's best friends WERE from Wisconin. Probably transferrence. I forgot one too: Stroh's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say that you really made my day, it's wonderful when you just look around the web
    and find something like this, reminds me of that ''How to make a dinner for a romantic...'' by Elsa Thomas,
    you're a wonderful writer let me tell you!!! ñ_ñ

    James Maverick (maverickhunterjames@gmail.com)
    3453 Rardin Drive
    San Mateo, CA 94403
    Project Manager
    650-627-8033

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...