Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bill Would Allow Mispronunciation of "Nevada"

Image from GreenwichMeanTime
For the record, the correct way to say the name of a place, is to say it the way the natives do.  I don't mean with the local accent necessarily.  But if you're in Bellefontaine, Ohio, you don't call it "Bell-fon-tain" or "Bella-fon-tin," you say, "Bell-fountain."  People from the state of Nevada pronounce it "Nehv-add-uh," not "Nuhv-odd-uh."  And don't give me the Spanish origin as a reason to keep saying it wrong.  If that rule held, we'd all say "Lows-AN-guh-leez" for Los Angeles, "Tay-hass" for Texas or. . .well. . .however the French say "Bellefontaine."  Of course, if I stick to my own rules, Fort Worth should be pronounced, "Foat Wuth," and Columbus would be "Klum-biss."

[Excerpt]

Bill would give OK to 'Ne-VAH-da' pronunciation

You know the old adage: You say to-MATE-o, I say to-MAHT-o. You say Ne-VAH-da, I punch you in the face. . .

Read more at: 8 News Now

Thanks to Stupid Monkey Planet for the link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...