Monday, January 31, 2011

Blast from the Past: Fast Food of the 70s & 80s

I grew up in Columbus, Ohio, which is for some reason a hotbed of chain restaurants. I don't mean they just have a lot of them, but that many originated there. Oh, they don't all still exist. But Wendy's is the best known of the bunch, and it's still going strong.  This weekend, on one of my many Wikipedia/YouTube/Internet time wasting labyrinths, I started looking at a bunch of the old restaurants I remembered that aren't around any more. There are a ton of them. But how many commercials are available? I thought I'd find out. . .

And then I gave up. I tried to find Big Bite, BBF, Borden Burger, GD Ritzy's, Daddy-O's, Rax,  and others, but no dice. So, I decided to just find some of the better ads from what is there. Hey, at least I found Burger Chef!




1. Burger Chef - Incrediburgible! Burger Chef & Jeff were the characters, and the "Fun Meal" predated the "Happy Meal." Burger Chef was at least as popular with us kids as McDonald's.
2. Wendy's - "Parts is Parts." A classic commercial from a time period when Wendy's had the funniest commercials on the air.
3. Jack in the Box - Before Jack became one of the best (and funniest) pitchmen on TV, he was a tired, silly old clown that the chain wanted to dispose of. And they did.
4. Arby's - This tragically 80s commercial shows why Arby's has always sort of been an also-ran.
5. McDonald's - Is there any reason that I should still know that a Big Mac is composed of "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun?"
6. Wendy's- Yes, Wendy's again, because they really did have the funniest commercials in the 80s, which this "Soviet fashion show" proves.

That's it for this week. And while I was a failure in my quest for defunct fast-food joints, there was a ton to choose from for ones that are still around. I may have  do a sequel tomorrow. Happy Monday!

UPDATE!:  I found a commercial for one of my favorite defunct fast-food joints, Sisters Chicken & Biscuits. It was a chain of fried chicken places owned by Wendy's, and started--of course--in Columbus. They had awesome green beans with bacon and a delicious rice dish. Their biscuits were fantastic, and so was their chicken fried steak. I don't know if the joint failed because of profits or what, but their food was several notches higher in quality than any other fast food place.

2 comments:

  1. Fortunately, you can freely eat healthy food at fast food restaurants because they have already changed some fast food, due to consumer concerns about fat content of foods consumed. tallow or lard is found in hydrogenated vegetable oils used for frying. low-fat choices in foods such as milk shakes, lean meats, fat free, salad bars with low-calorie dressings, elements of grilled chicken and steamed buns smiles are available for anyone to have their fast food healthy menu. Despite these changes, we must carefully select fast food, especially when you have diabetes, heart disease and hypertension for fast food such as special high-sodium, sugar and fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, yeah. Agreed. I rarely ever have fast food today, carefully planning for Cane's Chicken Fingers, Jack in the Box's sourdough bacon burger, or something like that. We're talking once every couple of months at most. But back in the day, I was a junk food junkie, and was skinny to boot. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...