Friday, August 3, 2007

Bush Lies Again. In Other News, Dog Bites Man.



Predictable, ain't it? The President issues a proclamation, and the next day you find out it isn't true. Is it harsh to say "lie" instead of "misremember," "misstatement," "untruth," or "inconsistent?" Not in this case. Here he just lied.

[Excerpt]
Exclusive: Bush Nixed Dem-DNI FISA Deal
By Spencer Ackerman - August 3, 2007, 5:11 PM

Today, while standing with Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell, President Bush lamented the inability of Congressional Democrats to give McConnell the tools he needed to capture the communications of terrorists:

"When Congress sends me their version, when Congress listens to all the data and facts and they send me a version of how to close those gaps, I'll ask one question, and I'm going to ask the DNI: Does this legislation give you what you need to prevent an attack on the country? Is this what you need to do your job, Mr. DNI? That's the question I'm going to ask. And if the answer is yes, I'll sign the bill. And if the answer is no, I'm going to veto the bill.

And so far the Democrats in Congress have not drafted a bill I can sign. We've worked hard and in good faith with the Democrats to find a solution, but we are not going to put our national security at risk."

There's only one problem with Bush's statement: it isn't true. . .

Read why it isn't true, and stick around for more (two updates so far) at: TPMMuckraker.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...