Sunday, October 11, 2009

Halloween Horrors: Slither DVD Review


Image from source, Wikipedia

[Editor's Note: Minor spoilers may follow, but I'll try to be gentle]

After slogging through some movie dreck this weekend (which inspired this post), and discovering that even $3 at Big Lots is too much to pay for some DVDs, I stumbled upon a jewel. Well, a bloody, dripping, oozing jewel. I picked up Slither (2006), not because I'd ever heard of it, or because I'd initially confused it with Squirm (a bad 70s film). I picked it up because it stars Nathan Fillion, the dashing Capt. Malcolm Reynolds from Joss Whedon's TV series Firefly and the movie Serenity.

Well, that and because it was $3. But unlike the rest of my selections, Slither was a hoot and a half. There is a tipoff at the beginning that this isn't your typical slice and dice, or run of the mill horror movie. If you've ever seen Critters or The Blob (either version), you'll catch a similar vibe (and plot point) when the film starts. Clearly, the film knows its audience, or at least it knew me. From there, we get to know a few of the denizens of a small Texas town, notably the police. Fillion is of course the main cop, and the girl he's sweet on is the unlucky wife of the philandering guy who pokes a meteorite with a stick.

The movie is chock full of different horror movie conventions and tropes, but handled wonderfully well. The humor and dialogue is right in line with what you might expect from other Fillion-centric productions. And the constantly changing, always disgusting "creature" (and its "spawn") will make you squirm with icky movie delight. Also starring with Fillion is Elizabeth Banks (Scrubs), Jenna Fischer (The Office) and a slew of lesser-known but recognizable character actors. I will not dub this my favorite movie of all time, but it is my favorite discovered by accident, bargain bin find of all time. I'm sure it will find its way into one of my Halloween Top 10 Lists. Now, what am I going to bump to make room?

My review: Highly recommended for the Fangoria set, and for Nathan Fillion fans.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...