Friday, October 16, 2009

What's Bloom County Creator Berkeley Breathed up to Now?


1st image from source, CNN
2nd image found on Facebook

I've been a big fan of Berkeley Breathed's work (Bloom County, Opus, Outland) ever since I saw a clipping of one of his early cartoons on my Aunt Camille's fridge. She had a subscription to The Columbus Citizen-Journal, and we got The Columbus Dispatch, which had entirely different comics pages, so going to Camille's also introduced me to Garfield, which had a much less lasting effect.

Anyway, my later years as a paper carrier and then my interest in comics through early adulthood were a golden age for the comics page. Sure, there were some lame ones (many of which still inexplicably exist), but we're talking--in addition to Bloom County--The Far Side by Gary Larson and Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson. All were absolute classics, and all ended their runs in their prime. Only Breathed has come out of retirement for limited runs, only to leave us again. So what's he up to? I thought I'd find out, and strangely enough, he gave an interview only a couple of days ago.

[Excerpt]

Vick dog inspired 'Bloom County,' 'Opus' creator

Berkeley Breathed answers the door to his Santa Barbara home, a tall, slender figure in suede cowboy boots.

But before he can extend a hand in greeting, he's nudged aside by a canine companion eager to introduce herself. . .


Read more at: CNN

EDITOR'S NOTE: Through the wonders of the internets, I've actually found the first Bloom County cartoon I ever saw, on Aunt Camille's refrigerator. The warped sense of humor hit home the very first time.


Source: GoComics

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...