Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Blast from the Past: Rush Limbaugh's I'm a Nazi!

This came up in a comments section discussion (thanks, Dan). Years ago, a radio station put together an absolute genius edit of Rush Limbaugh quotes edited to music, called "I'm a Nazi" or "He's a Nazi" alternatively. It's a masterful job of editing, and a great tune to boot. Now, ordinarily, I'd say that using Nazis as an analogy is best avoided. Nobody is like a Nazi, right? Maybe not.

And maybe you're a person who finds little to no humor in anything Nazi-related. I can understand that, I really can. But don't forget, Mel Brooks--a Jewish person himself--came up with Springtime for Hitler in the movie (later Broadway musical) The Producers, in the late 60s.  That was a mere 20-odd years after the actual events of World War II. So there is clearly some grey area here.  Anyway, this particular video is a variant I've been looking for ever since I started this blog in 2007. Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Of course Limbaugh was using sarcasm. I'm not going to defend Limbaugh. While a lot of people find his entertaining, I got turned off of him in his early years when he allowed a caller who said kids with severe disabilities arf elike dogs and they should be put down and Limbaugh never corrected her.
    But Brooks almost always NAZI's in his films. Like NAZI's on Ice in Histroy of the World and used NAZI's in Blazing Saddles. I also find Brooks to be funnier and more entertaining than Limbaugh more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, this particular video was made with Limbaugh's voice, but without his knowledge. The "Nazi" part isn't literal. It's an exaggerageration. I myself wouldn't put "Nazi" on Limbaugh. But I think the craftsmanship that went into this video is worth note, and the humor is pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll agree with you that is pretty funny, in a sick kind of way. But, that's our sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Mel Brooks gets more leeway to mock Nazism in the same way that African American rappers get a pass for using the "N" word. As a WASP with some German ancestry, I don't feel right about doing either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get what you're saying, Jill. For the most part, I think any use of Nazis beyond history lessons are for the most part a bad idea. This video though is masterful in execution. I think I'm so impressed with the artistry involved, I'm giving the message a pass.

    All that said, what about "Hogan's Heroes?" :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...