Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Delaware Passes Marriage Equality (Tally: 11 States Plus DC)

Image from The Coloradoan
So, we're off of guns and back on the gay, again! Sorry, but could I pass up the fact that we have crested 20% of US states with marriage equality? Delaware--five days after Rhode Island--passed marriage equality on Tuesday, making it a current 11 states plus the District of Columbia on board for legal same-sex marriage.California is almost certainly back in the pack after SCOTUS rules in June, making 13 out of 51. . .which pushes us past 25%! I know my mind tends to break things into percentages, and I place more importance on these kinds of details more than others. But I've got to think that with marriage equality in over one quarter of the nation, it's got to start to be. . .dare I say it? Normal? Usual? Ordinary? Unremarkable? I hope so!

[Excerpt]

Delaware becomes 11th U.S. state to allow gay marriage

Delaware legalized gay marriage on Tuesday, making it the 11th U.S. state to extend marriage rights to same-sex couples. The state Senate approved the bill by a vote of 12-9 on Tuesday and Governor Jack Markell signed it into law half an hour later. . .

Read more at: Chicago Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...